A few...of my favorite craft books on writing, and those just for reading...
Word Painting Revised Edition, Rebecca McClanahan
– I'm loving this book on descriptive writing
Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction, Card, Athans, Lake
– great history and advice
The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
– I love the movies and watch them over and over––which I never do except for this trilogy and the Harry Potter series. I tried to read LOTR several years ago, but I just wasn't ready to appreciate the writing. Now that I have been learning about writing and editing for a while, I started the story over again and I'm absolutely reveling in the simple joy of reading darn good writing.
In the cue:
Save the Cat! Blake Snyder
– on screenwriting
Wired for Story, Lisa Cron
– brain science and writing
What I've read:
On Writing Tenth Anniversary Edition, Stephen King
– I've only read Pet Cemetery––thirty-five years ago! But this book is a great memoir and offers some excellent writing advice.
got style? Helen Hardt
– an excellent go-to, quick and practical, reference on writing
The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell
– so many answers!
Dreyer's English, Benjamin Dreyer
– can't wait for the game!